The Castle of Methoni dominates imposing at the southwest end of the Peloponnese. It is one of the most characteristic castles in Greece, with an area of about 93 acres, while at the edge, at the end of the sea is the Bourtzi, where one can reach from a paved corridor through the gate of the sea.
The Castle of Methoni was built in 1209 by the Venetians in a rock that penetrates the sea and is separated from the land by an artificial moat. From the most impressive parts of the castle is the bridge that connects it with the land and the decorated with its embossed gate. The stone Bridge of fourteen arches was built over the moat by the technicians of Expedition scientifique de Mole, who accompanied General Maison in 1828. On the left and right of the entrance are the two large bastions, while on the West End is the Bastion Bembo, built during the 15th century.
The north side of the Castle of Methoni had taken its final shape in the early 18th century and it maintains it until today. The height of the wall on this side reaches about 11 meters. The Tholoskepastos road that starts at the gate Entrance, leads from a second gate and then a Tuesday, inside the castle.
Inside the Castle of Methoni are preserved ruins of the houses in which lived during the period of prosperity the Venetian rulers, the paved road that led to the gate of the sea, the ruins of a Turkish bath, the Byzantine Church of Aghia Sophia, near which was found a plaque with Latin letters (dated to 1714), parts of Doric columns and a monolithic granite column where it was supposed to be staged either the Winged Lion of Venice or the bust Of Morosini, a Doge of Venice – which is why it is called “Morosini’s column”.
The great edge of the Castle of Methoni is placed during the period of the first Venetian rule, i.e. during the 13th-15th century, while its final decline occurred after 1828, when its population moved beyond the walls.